segmentation fault everywhere

Eric Lemoine eric.lemoine at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 21:15:27 UTC 2006

On 11/9/06, Eric Lemoine <eric.lemoine at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have a very very bad problem on my ibook running Kubuntu Dapper Drake.
>
> Right after KDE starts a window pops up, indicating that the
> application Adept Notifier received a SIGSEGV. Then, any apt- command
> segfaults!!
>
> Examples:
>
> $apt-cache search emacs
> zsh: segmentation fault   apt-cache search emacs
>
> $sudo apt-get install vim
> zsh: segmentation fault   sudo apt-get install vim
>
> It doesn't smell very good. I absolutely don't know what to do?
>
> Any idea

gdb gives the following:

(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/bin/apt-get install vim
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
(no debugging symbols found)
Reading package lists... 0%
0x0fc71684 in strlen () from /lib/libc.so.6

Is my libc.so.6 file corrupted or something?

Could someone running Dapper Drake on a 32-bit ppc send me its
/lib/libc.so.6 file?

--
Eric