new to ubuntu; have a few questions

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Nov 9 19:32:42 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-11-09 at 14:04 -0500, Mark wrote:
> I was trying to compare the roles of Root and Admin to similar roles
> or levels of access on different systems

Sorry, seems I misunderstood you. Or it depends on the definition of
"more power"

You are right insofar as root ultimately root does not give you super
powers that make the computer do miraculous things. Root just lets you
do "everything", and at some level "everything" is doable in OSX or
Windows.

However the default admin account in Windows does not let you do
everything, as far as I know. (I am not familiar with OSX.) In addition,
as root by default it is assumed that you know what you do, and few
questions are asked.

In my definition of "more power" these do things do give root "more
power" than the "admin" of other OSes.

Regards,
Mario