ubuntu and NTFS

Hodgins Family ehodgins at telusplanet.net
Thu Nov 9 16:19:09 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-24-10 at 00:20 +0100, KEVIN NOLAN wrote:
> Nice OS, just installed for the first time. I was
> wondering is there a way of seeing, using files and
> applications on a NTFS file system (windows), with
> Ubuntu. Do I mount the other drives or ????
> I don't properly know what I am doing, and don't want
> to wreck the windows installation. Ubuntu is set up on
> my third HDD.

Welcome to the list and Ubuntu!

>From Ubuntu, you can read off an NTFS file system.

Check this link: http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#Windows and
google for others (the settings suggested may not be what you want.)

Writing to the NTFS from Ubuntu is a different story. Some people can do
it but others point out that it is not a good idea. Google for NTFS and
Linux to get a feel for where things stand.

Windows applications can be used (maybe) if you use a program called
wine. But the program would be installed on the Ubuntu side of your
machine, not the Windows side.

Again check this link:
http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu_Edgy#How_to_install_Windows_Applications_in_Linux_.28Wine.29

Good luck!