[H/W] Motherboard support : Asus A8V-X ?

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr
Thu Nov 9 00:10:58 UTC 2006

Hello,

I am considering buying a new motherboar dto replace my 5 year old nForce board that is dying.

I have selected this one:

Asus AV8-X

Anyone body running this board ? Does everything work, Sound, SATA, Ethernet ?

The chipset is a VIA K8T800 Pro, but I think the audio chip and Ethernet chip are not integrated into the chipset, and I am not sure what they are exactly exactly. I mean, the vendor's website (http://www.ldlc.com/fiche/PB00039742.html) says that the Ethernet chip is an "Realtek RTL8201CL 10/100" and that the Audio chip is an "ADI AD1986A" (never heard of the latter, has me worried! ) but I don't know how reliable these infos are (it's clearly stated on the page that they are not guaranteed to be accurate), and since the Asus website doesn't have any info about this particular board (they only talk about the A8V, not the A8V-X or any of the other variants), I don't have any reliable information !

So if you have or have had experience with this particular board, or at least the chipset, I have my ears wide opened ;-)
I am not too worried about the Ethernet chip, as I have a few bullet proof Realtek 8139 PCI Ethernet cards as a fallback. However I am worried about the sound chip, as I listen to music all the time and sound problems really ruin my computing experience, and I found that add-on sound card cost twice the price of the motherboard, so I would rather like the on-board sound to work...

Any feedback welcome ! :o)

Regards,

--
Vince