nvidia restricted modules upgrade fails

Richard Urwin richard at soronlin.org.uk
Wed Nov 8 22:17:26 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 08 November 2006 17:41, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-11-08 at 16:07 +0000, Richard Urwin wrote:
> > The only fix is a reboot, and this not being
> > Windows that is not a reflex action any longer.
>
> Or you can manually unload the old module (rmmod) and load the new one
> (depmod). This isn't Windows :)

Ah. I had assumed it was a kernel upgrade. If this was as a result of the
restricted modules alone changing then I would say (speaking as a s/w
engineer) it was a bug. What I would like to see there would be a script that
ran at the next log-out to reload the module and restart X.

Maybe that happens now. As I said, I restarted the server manually because my
logout hung. I do seem to remember seeing the Nvidia splash screen following
a logout before now. If that's the case then it's down to my impatience,
although a "please wait; completing package updates" message would be nice,

--
Richard Urwin