Printing with cups

Alistair Crust alistair at skegnessgrammar.org
Wed Nov 8 12:36:52 UTC 2006

Hi,
Good news, I have got printing working and working well so far.

I woul like to write a page on the wiki, but I want to make sure I get
it right.

Just for the sake of completeness and for any one searching for answers
through this list this is what I did.

On the server
-----------------------
sudo apt-get install cupsys* foomatic*

add user cupsys to the shadow group.

Edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf:
 Add DefaultEncryption IfRequested,
 Add Allow from nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/mm (where nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the network
address and mm is netmask in CIDR form) to / declaration,
 Add Allow nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn to /admin and /admin/conf declarations (where
nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn is the ip address or my remote admin machine),

Edit /etc/cups/port.conf:
 Remove Listen directive (Make sure Port 631 is there too)

Restart cupsys
(sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart)

Add printers using the web interface.

On the LTSP servers (Cups clients)
Stop supsys
(sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys stop)

Remove contents of /var/spool/cups/ directory
(sudo rm -v /var/spool/cups/*)

Remove jobs and printer cache files
(sudo rm -v /var/cache/cups/[jp]*)

Remove any reference to printers in /etc/printcap
sudo rm -v /etc/cups/prin*

Start cupsys
(sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys start)

Add remote printers using the raw as the make of printer.

Edit /etc/cups/printers.conf:
 replace stop-printer with cancel-job.

Restart cupsys
(sudo /etc/init.d/cupsys restart)

Please comment on this, any suggestions you might have would be great. I
can then get cracking to adding it to edubuntu/ubuntu wiki.

--
Kind regards
Alistair Crust