NFS mount in /etc/fstab - race condition?

Scott J. Henson scotth at csee.wvu.edu
Tue Nov 7 20:32:04 UTC 2006

drew einhorn wrote:
> I have several boxes with the following line in /etc/fstab:
>
>     garcon:/export/home       /home   nfs
> rsize=1024,wsize=1024         0       0
>
> It works as expected on all my boxes, except for the fastest one,
> which does not mount /home on boot.  I'm guessing the system is
> trying the mount on /home before nfs has completely woken up.

I believe you are seeing the same problem we have had with
automount.  Its not before nfs has woken up, its before the
network comes up.  It used to be that the networking init
script would wait for the network to come up.  But to speed
up boot thats no longer true.  upstart is eventually
supposed to fix that, but I would file a bug anyway.

As for a fix, create an init script that runs at the end of
boot and runs mount -a or put the following in
/etc/init.d/networking at the end of the start section.

while ( ! ( ifconfig eth0 | grep -q 'inet addr' ) ); do
  sleep 1
  somevar=`echo "$somevar + 1" | bc`
  if [ $somevar -eq 180 ]; then
    break