Edgy Install Problems

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Wed Nov 8 14:01:44 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:
>> For hours, I fought the problem of "Out of Range" - or a black screen on
>> boot. After using another computer, I found some workarounds for this
>> problem ... and also found that this was reported as a problem BEFORE
>> 6.10 was released.
>>
>> As the developers knew this was a problem with many LCD monitors, what
>> were they doing releasing 6.10 with no documentation of the problem?
>> Apparently it's related to the splash screen for boot - is this splash
>> screen so important that they're willing to break computers so that some
>> people can see it?
> Is the bug fixed? Please give us a link to it.

To my knowledge, it's not fixed. I found a post that gave me a bypass,
but I had to play around with it before I could actually make it through
a boot. ... and to date I don't have sound.

You might try http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=286241

That led me to what I needed to get Edgy up. I hope the next release is
better tested, though.