ACPI performance profile

Markus Schönhaber ubuntu-users at schoenhaber.de
Mon Nov 6 16:00:06 UTC 2006

Marco Mandl wrote:

> There is only the "performance" governor available:
> $ sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
> performance

Well, at least we know now why it doesn't work for you. The performance
governor always keeps the CPU at the highest possible clockspeed.
Try to insert one of the other governors, for example
sudo modprobe cpufreq_ondemand
and check scaling_available_governors again to see if that did help. If it
did, set the ondemand governor. The Gnome applet should indicate a lower
clock frequency when there is no load on the machine.

> "sudo modprobe speedstep-centrino" did not change anything. I did not even
> write anything to the kern.log.

Since
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq
already existed, speedstep-centrino was propably already loaded. You can do
lsmod | fgrep centrino
to check that.

> The whole thing was working under Dapper. What has changed?

All the cpufreq_* modules are loaded by default on my machine. I have no idea
why they aren't on yours. What does
ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/cpufreq
show?

Regards
  mks