Wine should be included with UBUNTU . . .

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Mon Nov 6 15:58:08 UTC 2006

"YAGNESH N DESAI" <ynd at hzw.ltindia.com>  said:
> Friends;
>
> I have recently tried SuSE and found that "wine" is supplied on
> its CD.
>
> This application is really usefull in converting a windows user to
> Linux.
> I can tell this as I have been windows user for a long time and
> already have collection of free software tools which work on windows.
> I was soo happy with it after finding that many of those tools are
> woking with wine on Linux that I need not search, download and
> install such tools for linux.
>
> What does everyone have to say about it.
>
> Yagnesh

WINE might be of some limited help in getting Win users more used to
the Ubuntu environment but it could also be a detriment to fully
utilizing that environment..  When I began with Linux (pre-Ubuntu) I
used WINE for a time because I just wasn't familiar with which programs
did what under Linux.  I really believe that my reliance on WINE slowed
my full adoption of Linux for /months/.

So, yes, it /can/ help but, no, I don't think it should be a default
inclusion.
Besides, why come to Linux just to use (old, slow, buggy) Win programs?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Press 'START' to stop
	Winduhs