Printing with CUPS

Alistair Crust alistair at skegnessgrammar.org
Mon Nov 6 15:41:05 UTC 2006

Hi,

To fill you in I am from Skegness Grammar School an 800+ pupil school in
Lincolnshire. We run Ubuntu Dapper as a thin client environment right
throughout the school and use it to teach ALL curriculum lessons.

Just recently we have had a few problems printing from the four LTSP
servers we have. (we don't use edubuntu due to Local Disk Access,
although in a few months we will be trying edgy on a test server. Anyway
I digress). I think the reason is that we have the four app servers
accessing the jetdirect enabled printers directly instead of on server
managing all. We also would like to allow access to certain printers
from all machines but only from staff accounts, thus:

My idea was to install a Dapper server and on it cupsys et al. Then
administer via web (from a set number of machines, e.i. My office, staff
room, anywhere the kids don't have access).

Problem is that the web interface is disabled by default.. not a problem
I hear you cry. Wrong! after enabling the / and /admin sections via the
cupsd.conf Allow directive the web site does indeed become accessible,
problem is that when trying to add a printer the web interface is asking
for an upgrade because I am not accessing it from https://. I know this
is some kind of licence issue using ssl, but I don't want to use https.
and even when I install openssl the thing still doesn't work. I have
googled and there has been a few posts relating to my problem here but
none that actually fix the problem, after trying the suggestions the
trail just goes cold.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Apologies for cross posting but I have had no luck so far and would
really like the school to be shown as a good example to others. If I
can't get printing to work then that kind of blows my efforts out the
water.

--
Kind regards
Alistair Crust