Setting MTU

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 12:18:55 UTC 2006

On 06/11/06, Steve Flynn <anothermindbomb at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/11/06, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > When I check ifconfig, I see that my mtu is 1500. However, my ISP said
> > that I should change it to 1392. So:
> >
> > $ sudo ifconfig mtu 1392
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > mtu: ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device
> > $
> >
> > Also, I connect via a Level1 router. Must I change the mtu in the
> > router as well? Thanks in advance.
> >

> So long as the MTU in the router is greater than the MTU of your machine,
> you won't need to change the router. What sort of connection do you have
> there - ADSL? Cable? Satellite?

I'm on a cable connection. Tell me, how can I check the mtu of the
router? I went through all the config options, and didn't see anything
related to MTU. Is there a way to check externally, like a ping
command that asks it "By the way, what's your mtu?"

Dotan Cohen

http://dotancohen.com/
http://lyricslist.com/lyrics/artist_albums/16/ac-dc.php