[Edgy] Why does the "Users and Group" config utility show a root user?

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Sun Nov 5 12:50:22 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-11-05 at 12:24 +0000, Eamonn Sullivan wrote:
> The root account exists in a default install of Ubuntu (as in any
> Linux), it's just that you can't log in to account directly. You need
> to use sudo. Note the ! character in root's line in /etc/shadow. It
> indicates , as far as I know, that the account doesn't have a valid
> password. The column changes if you do give root a password with "sudo
> passwd."

Thanks, but I knew that: I guess I phrased my question wrongly. What I
meant was to clear up if what I see is normal behavior, because if it is
I qualify this as a user interface bug and will file it as such.

My reasoning is as follows:
If the root account is disabled completely (as it is), it should not
show up in the configuration panel at all, or at least the config panel
should somehow show that this account is disabled. In particular it
should now show the account secured with an 8-letter password because
that is simply wrong. There is not password in a disabled account.