Gnome broke

David Berg drberg1000 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 4 15:57:47 UTC 2006

I shut my computer off this morning to get data off an old hard drive.
 When I put the usual one back in it booted as usual, but I couldn't
log into gnome.  When I tried it would just display a blank screen
then after half a minute or so a blank, white text box in the upper
left corner of the screen.

I installed enlightenment and that loads fine both from both startx or
gdm.  There is nothing useful in .xsession-errors.  I get the same
behavior with all users including a newly created one.

I'm at a loss as to what snapped.  Any ideas?

--Dave

If you'd cc a reply to me I'd appreciate it.