ACPI performance profile

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Fri Nov 3 15:46:51 UTC 2006

Markus Schönhaber wrote:
> Marco Mandl wrote:
>> After upgrading to edgy my laptop is always running with the highest cpu
>> freqeuncy. Where can I select the ACPI performance profile?
>
> You could use gnome-power-manager, which provides an applet that lets you
> select clock frequencies or which scaling governor shall handle the frequency
> selection.
>
> Or you could add a line like
> /usr/bin/echo ondemand > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
> to /etc/rc.local to select a specific scaling governor on bootup. In this
> case, the "ondemand" governor would be selected which adjusts the cpu
> frequency according to need.

I just want to add, on my laptop, even in ondemand mode, the CPU was
almost always in the highest frequency mode.  I switched to the -386
kernel, and now everything is running great.  The laptop is much cooler,
and spends most of the time at low speed, but properly increases the
speed when doing things like opening applications, and playing video.

-Matt