Dapper upgrade questions...

Adriano Varoli Piazza moranar at gmail.com
Wed May 31 20:45:30 UTC 2006

2006/5/31, Charles Malespin <ubuntu.physicist at gmail.com>:
> Hello all, I have a few questions about what is going to happen with
> tomms. upgrade.  I have been reading alot about how people are still
> having bug problems and things are breaking, and this is the day before
> release.  I obviously dont expect everything to work with any OS, but
> will most of these problems be sorted out, or should I wait a few weeks?

Well, nothing's going to be solved tonight, I guess, so if you're
really concerned the best thing would be to wait a few weeks. Depends
on you and your hardware.

> Secondly, I have my home partition on sep from my root.  As I understand
> it(and I still consider myself a noob) that means that I can do a clean
> install from the update manager and all my stuff will be kept as before?
> Will I have to install the themes that I have in breezy now onto my
> dapper setup, or will they still work?  Basically I have customized my
> setup how I like it and I would hate to have to go out and find all the
> little things I have added and reinstall/add them again for dapper.

Take this with a pinch of salt, but the idea is:
- If the modifications reside in your home folder, then they should
remain active without effort on upgrade, provided that they don't
break compatibility with the new software of course. Whether they do
is, sadly, yours to find out.
-If the mods are in /etc or /usr/somewhere (not a real folder name),
you'll probably lose them, unless the update scripts ask you what to
do.

Tips: Backup. Backup. Oh, and Backup. I refer to backup of system
settings, in addition to the normal, expected backup of your personal
data.

Just to cheer you up: I've been using Dapper since flight 5, and I
haven't had a problem. Maybe I'm exceedingly lucky, maybe my karma is
preparing to make me pay dearly. We'll see. So far, I'm very happy
with Ubuntu.

Cheers.
--
Adriano Varoli Piazza