Bugs in Dapper, should stick with Breezy ?

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Wed May 31 03:18:46 UTC 2006

Thiers Botelho wrote:
> <snip>

> Is my reasoning reasonable ? I'd appreciate any comments on my plans,
> thnx everybody.

Just want to throw in my $0.02.

I have a laptop that now hibernates reliably, auto-sets my display
resolution properly, and runs my wireless cards flawlessly without
having to figure out the guts of my OS.  I know how to fix all of these
things, but the main reason I know is because I tried Breezy first.

I installed Dapper for the first time at flight 3, and haven't looked
back.  Personally, despite the bugs, and Dapper being a development
branch, it still had less problems than running Breezy.

Just because Dapper currently has more open bugs does not mean that the
open bugs will necessarily effect you.  Also, given the numbers that you
quoted above, you must be talking about the bugs on the distro itself.
Each package has a list of bugs, and the list is much more impressive if
you look at each thing you use individually.

Also, there are several things in Breezy that are not considered bugs
that will keep you from using your laptop.  In particular, wireless
networking, while it can be made to work in Breezy, has received much
needed feature additions that make it useful in Dapper.

My advice:  Install Dapper first.  If it works, great.  If it doesn't,
out.  On average, I think Dapper bugs are less fatal to laptops than the
features that never made it into Breezy.

Good luck,
-Matt