Install freezes during disk partitioning

Randy Forston rforston at earthlink.net
Tue May 30 21:12:54 UTC 2006

Samir Patel [SPatel at tarari.com] wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I tried installing Breezy Badger over the weekend on an old 800MHz P3
> machine, with 64MB RAM and a 10GB hard drive.  I was using the
> install CD (not the LiveCD).
>
> Unfortunately it keeps hanging when it reaches 52% completion on the
> disk partitioning step.  I tried it several times, and even tried
> letting it go for a few hours, but it never got past that step.
>
> I've tried googling around a little bit, but haven't been able to
> find anything solid.  Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks!!
>
> Samir

The most probable cause is trash in the drive's boot block.

You most likely have some data in the boot block that the disc partitioner
can't deal with.
Go to the hard drive mfgr's website and get their utility to wipe the boot
block.
If you can't find the utility there, call their tech support line.

It should take no more that a few seconds to run and then the drive will
appear, to any OS you're installing, as tho it's fresh from the factory -
never been used.

Could be something else, of course, but wiping the boot block is the first
thing I'd try, given the symptoms you state.

Regards,
Randy