ATI Radeon support

GyroTech gyrotech at freakinabox.com
Tue May 30 14:27:49 UTC 2006

Hi,

Colin Brace wrote:
> How is the ATI Radeon video chipset support these days?
It seems to vary greatly...

> I am looking to buy a laptop to run Ubuntu, and many of the ones
 > in my price range are based on ATI Radeon Xpress 200M chipset.
I have a HP NX7010 with an ATi Radeon Mobility 9200 M9 and it works just
fine with the 'ati' and 'radeon' open-source drivers, but I've not yet
been able to get the fglrx drivers working at all, not from the dapper
repos or from ATi themselves so no hardware 3D support for me.

Though in contrast, I have an X1800XT in my desktop machine and it works
quite happily with the fglrx driver, so I guess it's rather hit-and-miss
as to what works and what doesn't.

> I'd prefer a laptop with an nVidia chipset, but these tend to be on
> the expensive side. Any ideas/suggestions most welcome. Thanks.

If it's essential you have the 3D or TV-out kind of support, I'd stummp
up the extra cash for the nVidia chipset.

GyroTech