breezy ipod issues

William Stephens wstephens10 at cox.net
Tue May 30 02:00:28 UTC 2006

Hello,

I use a ipod shuffle on breezy usually just to put data on the drive and
charge the thing.  Recently it stopped showing up on desktop as
removable storage.  Then today my computer was working at a crawl and
top and other system monitors didn't have anything eating resources or
anything.  It got to the point where I couldn't get menus on the panel
to open it was going so slow.  So I hit ctrl+alt+F1 to do a sudo
shutdown -r now command.  On the screen there was:

[4367908.89000] sdb:assuming drive cache: write through
[4367908.90600] Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
[4367908.89000] sdb:assuming drive cache: write through
[4367908.89000] sdb:assuming drive cache: write through
[4367908.90600] Buffer I/O error on device sdb, logical block 0
[4367908.89000] sdb:assuming drive cache: write through
(numbers were different but i don't remember what they were) and it kept
going...when I removed the ipod the error stuff stopped but cpu
performance sucked until i rebooted. I'm pretty sure sdb was the ipod.
I'm a real linux newbie so...

1)  What was I seeing on ctrl+alt+F1?

2)  Why was that on ctrl+alt+F1 and not on any other terminal?

3)  Can this sort of thing damage my ipod or the data on it?

4)  How can I stop this from happening? (it worked fine for about a
week)

Thanks for the help. I'm just trying to learn about what's going on.

William S.