3gp files, mplayer, and ffmpeg

Jaime Davila jdavila at hampshire.edu
Tue May 30 01:01:08 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I'm trying to set up mplayer under breezy so I can open 3gp files
created with the digital camera of a cell phone. I did some searching
and found this page: http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=178455
but I'm having trouble using cvs to check out the ffmpeg source. The
command:
cvs -z9 -d:pserver:anonymous at mplayerhq.hu:/cvsroot/ffmpeg co ffmpeg
returns:
cvs [checkout aborted]: connect to mplayerhq.hu(213.144.138.186):2401
failed: Connection refused
every time I've tried it.

Any ideas on how I check out ffmpeg? Is it just that the mpayerhq cvs
server is down?

Even better, anyone knows any other way to get mplayer to play 3gp files
with sound under ubuntu? I _do_ get the video part OK.

BTW, I've already tried realplayer, which is supposed to do the trick,
but it doesn't. I get error:
Invalid parameter. Unable to process request.
if I try to open a 3gp file with realplay, even though it works for
other files.

Also, xine has the same issue as mplayer: video OK, no sound.

TIA,

Jaime

Jaime J. Davila
Assistant Professor of Computer Science