[Samba Authentication] Set up a Samba share for Ubuntu and XP to access

Chris Neary hello at poetofcode.org
Mon May 29 16:33:16 UTC 2006

So here's what I'd like to do:

It's mandatory that a kitchen computer exist and be used by the family,
while my own machine runs Ubuntu and is vastly superior in that right.
However I'd like to show off with some networkey bits and pieces such as
have my MPD-controlled (www.musicpd.org) music collection available on a
network share from the kitchen computer running XP.

I've installed Samba on Ubuntu and shared '/mp3' as 'SharedMusic' in
Administration -> Shared Folders ('shares-admin' command) and both Gnome and
XP show signs of being able to 'see' the share -- it pops up in network://
in Nautilus, and adding a network place in XP doesn't actually fail -- but
neither of them actually let me in; They ask for a password and trying the
password I use for both machines doesn't work.

I've tried different combinations of username - WORKGROUP\chris,
chris at WORKGROUP and the like, but nothing seems to get through. Gnome seems
intent on using MSHOME as the workgroup/domain, but my smb.conf shows the
workgroup is WORKGROUP. Or rather, workgroup. Is it case sensitive?

The XP machine is setup to be on the 'WORKGROUP' workgroup.

Any clues?

Cheers
Chris