Is it possible to automatically update restricted modules?

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Mon May 29 10:36:59 UTC 2006

Andrew,

Thank you for replying.
> I think they were not finished compiling when you upgraded.  I think
> the problem is that the packages become available for installation
> before their dependencies are finished being compiled.  Had you
> upgraded a few minutes later, you probably would have gotten the
> linux-restricted-modules, too. ...
> Maybe it's somthing else.  I am just maing an assumption without much
> knowledge of what is actually going on...

I'm certainly no expert either, but I don't think it's an issue of the
packages not being compiled together. It was actually a matter of a week
or so between when the kernel upgrade and when I clued in to updating
the restricted modules.

Actually, my first thought was that it was possibly the Nvidia-glx
package that needed updating. When days passed and that didn't happen,
then I figured something else was wrong.

Also, the restricted modules are listed as different packages for each
kernel, not different versions for one package. So that indicates that
they don't just upgrade automatically. At least that's how I interpret it.

--
Dave M G