crystal audio on optiplex gx1

danrael ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Mon May 29 09:50:55 UTC 2006

OK.  Thanks for the more detailed information which allowed me to
successfully edit the modules file, and now my sound/volume icon on the
desktop is active.  I get the nice mellow startup ubuntu system sounds
through my speakers, and I can play test sounds, so I know the sound
system is basically working.  However, when I insert a music cd, the
Sound Juicer program automatically starts up, and when I hit the Play
button, an error message appears:  "Error playing CD:  Reason:
ALSA-device "default" is already in use by another program".  I can
extract selections from the CD and play them back in the Rhythm Box
Music Player, but cannot do so in Totem, as I get a similiar error that
sound output is in use by another program, with the suggestion that I
make another selection in the Multimedia Systems Selector.  If I close
the Sound Juicer program, and click on the CD Player program, the
playlist is shown, but when I click on the "Play" button, my mouse
freezes and the program does nothing, except for a few audible
ubuntu-type thumps.

UPDATE:  for those having a similiar problem:

I discovered that, by going into System> Preferences > Sound, and
unchecking the "Enable sound server startup" box, I was finally able to
get Sound Juicer to play my music cd.  CD Player also works now.
However, both programs have intermittent interference of some sort;
sounds like blasts of static.  Any clues?

--
danrael