Evolution

Thiers Botelho thiersb at gmail.com
Sun May 28 22:37:53 UTC 2006

On 5/28/06, Alan McKinnon <alan at linuxholdings.co.za> wrote:
> On Saturday 27 May 2006 23:55, Thiers Botelho wrote:
> > I think that a mailing list - more so if it is a high-traffic one
> > like this - is a fine opportunity for accomodating different points
> > of view and different levels of general tolerance, so either top or
> > bottom posting are equally welcome.
>
> No.
>
> A mailing list like this is the very place where bottom post rules
> MUST be enforced. If two folk are having a personal chit-chat over
> email it doesn't matter where the answer is. Lists are different -
> they are archived for all to see in the future and people also come
> into the conversation late and need to figure out the flow.
>
> Bottom posting:
> > > You going to the game on Saturday?
> > Yes, I'll pick you up at 6.
>
> Anyone can understand it, it flows like a book.
>
> Top posting:
>
> > Yes, I'll pick you up at 6.
> > > You going to the game on Saturday?
>
> Somewhat understandable, if you spot the quote marks are in bottom-up
> order. But this forces you to read upside down.
>
> What you are suggesting is that intermingled posting is OK. This gives
> you:
>
> > > You going to the game on Saturday?
> > Yes, I'll pick you up at 6
>
> Now try and figure this out. See how you can't easily do it? Take a
> long involved thread with specific answers to specific points and it
> becomes a mess.
>
> Every single aspect and difficulty of posting was already observed and
> thrashed out many years ago in the first three months of Usenet. This
> list works the same way as Usenet and bottom posting is the only
> thing that works. Good grief, I can't believe this still comes up for
> discussion, it's like some idiot in the room trying to defend why
> he's driving on the opposite side of the road as everyone else.
>
> Alan McKinnon

Since you particularly dislike intermingling text on postings I
wouldn't do that when replying to yours, even when considering it
would easier for the understanding of the flow of ideas.

So I'll partially re-quote your statement from way above in order to
better clarify context (that's my point of view, you'll probably
disagree).

> A mailing list like this is the very place where bottom post rules
> MUST be enforced.

Since I'm new to the list I'd be interested in learning what mechanism
is used here to achieve this enforcement.

Thnx

Thiers