eth0-xovercable-eth0-dialup lan

maxim wexler blissfix at yahoo.com
Sun May 28 22:35:50 UTC 2006

Hi group,

I'd like to setup a home lan using two pcs and a
crossover cat5 between the two eth-cards. One pc has
ubuntu on it and will be connected to another with
(hiss, boo) gentoo. The gentoo box will be connected
to the web via a external dial-up modem. The ubuntu
box only has one serial port which is already spoken
for and my only pci hardware modem is flaky. So it
will be the client host ??? of the other one.

My scheme is to download stuff onto the gentoo box via
the web, natch, and move it over to the ubuntu box as
required. There will be no hub, just the crossover
cable between the two boxen.

I've already tried this with two gentoo boxen and just
ran around in circles with openssh and plain ssh and
ftp and ftpd and hosts and domains and a lot of stuff
I don't have time for.

I don't think security is a problem, though someone
can correct me on this. I don't need the situation
where I would be contacting the web on both pcs at one
time.

Can someone recommend some tools or perhaps I already
have the right software installed and it's just a
question of using it?

-Maxim