gParted failure

K7AAY john@503bartley.com john.bartley at gmail.com
Sun May 28 18:48:59 UTC 2006

Original post, subject: gParted failure, on Sat, 27 May 2006 06:47:57
+0, I wrote:
> > gParted 0.1
> > 190 GB HD with 125GB of content
> > NTFS from XP
> > dismount the partition
> > launch gParted
> > Tell it to resize, just the one operation
> > Tell it to proceed; it looks as if it will

(Yes, shows the change as I wished it, for a moment.)

> > and then the screen blinks and I'm right back where I was.
> > Your kind advice would be appreciated.

> Date: Sun, 28 May 2006 14:53:20 +0200
> From: Henk Koster <H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl>
> Subject: Re: gParted failure
> Brevity is a virtue, but now you're giving too little info to be of
> much use.

Apologies for my ignorance. Thank you kindly, Heer Koster, for indulging me.

> How are you running GParted, from the liveCD installer, perhaps?

Yes, spot on!

> What does your partition table look like before starting GParted?

190GB, entire disc, of NTFS partition from an expired install of XP.

> And, in words, what is it that you try to accomplish?

Make room on the hard drive for the partitions required to install Ubuntu.
Would prefer not to wipe everything, as the reload of all the media
and other data files would take a lot of time to restore everything
from the CD-R backups.

John Bartley K7AAY PDX OR USA  ''This is a carburetor,'' Hank tells
his son. ''Take it apart, put it back together; repeat until you're
normal.'' - KOTH