Local texmf tree

Henk Koster H.A.J.Koster at xs4all.nl
Sun May 28 12:47:34 UTC 2006

On Sat, 27 May 2006 22:08:49 +0200, Nikolaus Rath wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In breezy, my local $HOME/texmf tree worked fine. I had a file
> texmf/pdftex/pdftex.cfg that referred to additional map files in
> texmf/pdftex/config:
>
> map +5fu.map
> map +5sb.map
>
> However, when I upgraded to dapper, these map files are no longer
> found. Apparently, pdftex.cfg is now completely ignored. Appending my
> mapfiles to /var/lib/texmf/fonts/map/pdftex/updmap/pdftex.map worked
> around the problem, but this is of course not a real solution.
>
> Where do I have to place and configure user specific font map files so
> that pdflatex uses them?
>
> Thanks,
>
>    --Nikolaus

The $HOME/texmf tree is already in the search path by default, so no
problem there. Additional map-files for pdftex/latex can be specified in
/etc/texmf/pdftex/pdftex.cfg, and will then be used by updmap. You'll have
to run the following commands in order:

sudo texhash
sudo update-updmap
sudo updmap

Let me know if this works, since I'll be switching my TeX/LaTeX stuff to
Dapper myself soon.