how is suspend-to-disk supposed to work?

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Fri May 26 01:57:18 UTC 2006

Joerg Beyer <j.beyer at web.de> wrote:

> Vincent Trouilliez schrieb:
>> On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 10:33 +0200, Joerg Beyer wrote:
>>> is there anybody, where suspend to disk is working?
>>
>> It works (though not out of the box) on my (4 year old) machine. There
>> are rough edges, depending on your hardware config and how critical you
>> are, but I would say that the basics are working.
>> It certainly works well enough for me to use it every evening instead of
>> shutting down, mainly as it's the only way to preserve my desktop, since
>> session management/saving isn't really helpful I found.
>
> I have a scrambled screen and the machine is locked up, when I
> switch it on again. I would like to get suspend to disk working
> for me to, but don't know where or how I can fix this. Any
> Logfile I can look at? Any wiki page?

Try to change some settings in your hibernate.conf
This ones look promising:

  EnableVbetool <boolean>                                             [vbetool]
     Save and restore video state using vbetool before and after
     suspending.

  VbetoolPost <boolean>                                               [vbetool]
     If yes, will call the video BIOS's POST routine to reinitialise the
     video card. Some cards need this to turn on the backlight back and be
     useful after resuming. Other video cards will hang if you attempt to
     POST them. Try it with yours and see.

  RestoreVCSAData <boolean>                                           [vbetool]
     If yes, will call save and restore some of the video card's state from
     /dev/vcsa. This helps certain drivers such as ATI's fglrx driver to
     resume properly.

  SwitchToTextMode <boolean>                                           [xhacks]
     If your X driver is unable to resume properly, you can try switching
     to a text console first by setting this to yes.

  UseDummyXServer <boolean>                                            [xhacks]
     Some X drivers can be reinitialised by launching a dummy X server
     after resuming to restore the state of the graphics card. Set this to
     yes to do so.

If you're using some hotkey for hibernation make sure it calls the
hibernate script instead of letting the BIOS do the work.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>