Making update-manager use an ISO automagically

Rich Renomeron rrenomer at sdf.lonestar.org
Thu May 25 01:06:46 UTC 2006

I really like the "new way" of upgrading the distribution to Dapper via
"update-manager -d <http://daniel.holba.ch/blog/?p=14>," and hope to use
that method for deploying Dapper on my network next weekend.  However,
I'm pretty sure that world+dog+cat+ferret is going to be hitting the
Ubuntu archive servers the second the Dapper release announcement hits
the internet, and continue doing so for quite a while, which will make
the upgrading part painfully slow.

Since BitTorrent is a much better way for quickly distributing things to
world+dog simultaneously, I wonder if there's a way to make
update-manager use an ISO in conjunction with the repositories (since
not everything is on the CD) without having to do all that messy mucking
about with /etc/apt/sources.list.  While it's not too hard to pull it
off, why do manually what the computer can/should do for you?

I suppose I could just wait a week or two for the traffic to die down,
but I'm too "Type A" for that.

Rich

--
 From the Notebook of Rich Renomeron
 Get the job done fast, right, or cheap: pick any two.