Ubuntu as a family

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Wed May 24 20:43:44 UTC 2006

On Wednesday 24 May 2006 16:58, Michael R. Head wrote:

> > > On a more serious note: I know that Google uses Linux
> > > extensively in their own operations, but do they make any
> > > contributions back to the community?
> >
> > Not that I'm aware of.
>
> Any reason these don't count? http://code.google.com/projects.html

Other than that I'm not aware of them, no.

> > It's a bit odd considering that the 100,000+
> > servers that make up Google run a Linux kernel with a custom
> > filesystem and yet a Google Earth that runs on X is apparently
> > beyond them...
>
> I'm not sure how those two examples of software equate.

They don't. It's a social issue, not a technical one. Google's
back-end runs on Linux for reasons of cost. There's an entire
category of searches categorized just for Linux. But Linux is not a
priority for their popular downloadable tools (toolbar, Google
Earth). It just seems odd that a company so aware and so clued up on
Linux basically ignores Linux desktops. Kinda goes against the geek
culture don't you think?

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za