[Newbie] ubuntu's update-manager???

glinsvad ulist at gs1.ubuntuforums.org
Wed May 24 17:15:18 UTC 2006

> what's recommended? all of them?

Yes. If you are running Breezy, the updates are tested and stable. If
running Dapper, updating helps the developers do debugging on the
latest code - as such the updates might be less stable, but that will
be fixed faster if reported during the development stage :)

> Can I do anything to reduce the number?

Well, disable the repositories that the updates are fetched from (not
recommended - read above). System>Administration>Software Properties
allows you to edit the repositories used...

> when update manager says it's ...downloading 43 of 81files?

I'm guessing you'r running Dapper then :D. Right after install, Ubuntu
checks for new updates since the CD was released. Old CD releases
equals a lot of updates the first time. Daily builds eases this
headache, because they are built daily (well they are!) from the newest
versions...
'Ubuntu' (http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/daily/current/)
'Ubuntu Live' (http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/daily-live/current/)

> it does stuff greater or lesser than this EVERY day, what's up with
> that?

Dapper being in its final stages before release (:mrgreen:) the
programmers are working like crazy, spewing out new-and-improved
versions right and left. Ain't it great? I guess we are all so used to
Microblöd arrogantly releasing updates only once/twice a month - even
for critical security holes like the Word-exploit!

--
glinsvad