sudo vs root

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Tue May 23 15:51:15 UTC 2006

maxim wexler <blissfix at yahoo.com> writes:

> Which makes me wonder why sudo would ask for my user
> password when I was already logged in as user.

Just a verification that you are the culprit who's running
sudo, mostly for proper logging.

> Is there a difference between the two methods in the
> way the package gets installed?

No.

This sudu scheme is an idiosyncratic scheme that some developers
thought people should use, by default at least.  Try it out for a
while, if you want, or just revert to the "good old ways" by once
running "sudo passwd root" to give root a password.  Then you can
start a terminal emulator and su to root, etc.  This won't disable
the sudo scheme, so you will still use it to run GUI aps for root
purposes.  (Almost nobody thinks it's a good idea to run X, desktop,
window manager, etc., as root.)