Ubuntu as a family

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Tue May 23 08:41:18 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 23 May 2006 01:39, Carroll Grigsby wrote:
> On Monday 22 May 2006 19:00, Pupeno wrote:
> > On Sunday, 21 de May de 2006 18:47, conor wrote:
> > > didn't Mr. Shuttleworth express an
> > > interest in creating a gubuntu, consisting of only free
> > > software?  Oh wait, that was gnubuntu.
> >
> > That is indeed interesting.
>
> A few weeks ago, there was some speculation in the trade press that
> Google was going to bring out its own Linux distribution based on
> ubuntu, and at least one writer said that it would be named
> goobuntu.
> -- cmg

Ah, you have used 'speculation' and 'press' in the same sentence. That
usually means 'sucked out of the writer's thumb and is as far away
from reality as you can possibly get while still speaking English'.

It definitely means just that in this case. Google do use Ubuntu
internally, but I wouldn't be surprised if those PhD's were having a
contest to see who could build a gRedHat or a gGentoo the fastest.

SABDFL said at the time on his blog that he wasn't aware of any Google
plane to release a distro to the world.

--
If only me, you and dead people understand hex,
how many people understand hex?

Alan McKinnon
alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za