Getting an error one wmv files...

Peter Garrett peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au
Mon May 22 18:06:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, 20 May 2006 11:04:18 -0500
C Hamel <yogich at sc2000.net> wrote:

> I bet nobody knows the answer to this one... ;-) lol ...I am getting an error
> when attempting to play a wmv file which looks like this (kaffeine):
> "A problem occurred while loading a library or a decoder:
> "wmvdmod.dll"
> ...after which kaffeine crashes.
>
> I have the w32codecs installed, along w/gstreamer0.10-ffmpeg, -gl,
> pitfdll, -plugins-bad-multiverse, -plugins-base, -plugins-good, -plugins-ugly, -plugins-ugly-multiverse,
> & libgstreamer0.10-0.  I have also run the gst-register command successfully,
> according to the VT output.
>
> Someone on the IRC channel suggested the 'pitfdll' but am wondering if I need
> something else in addition.

I know gstreamer is supposed to work for this kind of thing now (on
Dapper), but personally I haven't had much luck with it. ( I admit I
haven't really explored it fully and tested it out since dist-upgrading to
Dapper a few days ago) .

If you need wmv and co. to (mostly) just work, I suggest installing
kaffeine-xine and libxine-extracodecs. With those and w32codecs, I find
wmv plays with no problems.

Caveat: I mostly use xine or totem-xine, and have the totem-xine plugins
for firefox installed. Konqueror seems to find the plugins OK though,
presumably because it looks for mozilla plugins.

VLC also works quite well for most movies/sound, but of course it can't
play some  formats as it doesn't use the  w32codecs. (Is there a way to
make VLC use them? I haven't found any info on this... )

Peter

--

"Hyperlinks subvert hierarchy."

-The Cluetrain Manifesto