compile w/diff gcc

Erik Christiansen erik at dd.nec.com.au
Mon May 22 03:29:46 UTC 2006

On Sun, May 21, 2006 at 10:20:35AM -0500, C Hamel wrote:
> Can someone please enlighten me as to how to specify a different gcc when
> compiling from source  ...or at the very least point me to some docs which
> tell the story?

If the question is "How can I differentiate multiple gcc versions, when
compiling from source?" then this may do the job:

MULTIPLE GCC versions:
   The easiest way to do this is to configure the new GCC with
   --prefix=/usr/local/gcc and the older gcc2 with --prefix=/usr/local/gcc2.
   Build and install both compilers. Then make a symlink from /usr/local/bin/gcc
   to /usr/local/gcc/bin/gcc and from /usr/local/bin/gcc2 to
   /usr/local/gcc2/bin/gcc. [From the distribution's FAQ]

hth,
Erik