DNS via Linksys ADSL2MUE modem not working properly

Neil Woolford neil at neilwoolford.co.uk
Sat May 20 19:34:42 UTC 2006

Derek Broughton <news <at> pointerstop.ca> writes:

> Neil Woolford wrote:
>

> > If I use dig to query DNS it works fine;  for example,
> > "$ dig  <at> 192.168.1.1 a.domain.by.name"
> > returns a sensible result, citing the DNS Server as 192.168.1.1.

> > So if command line tools can use the modem as a DNS Server, why can't my
> > applications like Firefox et al?
>
> Hang on!  That's not fair.  You apparently had to tell dig to use
> 192.168.1.1 as the domain server.  Did you get a different result from:
>
> # dig a.domain.by.name

No, that works fine too.  But *most* apps still don't get out to the internet
through the ADSL2MUE without me tweaking the configuration to add my ISP's DNS
addresses ahead of 192.168.1.1

However, update-manager does work fine out of the box, Firefox (for example)
doesn't.  I can tweak things to make the system work fine, it is just that I
don't think I should *need* to.

Neil