Checking Hard Drive

Toby Kelsey toby_kelsey at ntlworld.com
Fri May 19 17:52:06 UTC 2006

Richard wrote:
> Toby Thanks, for the quick reply
> did not know it was this evolved, that there was a app,
> you click, and select drive, and format (done.) coming from a Mac

You could try 'gparted', which will create the partitions, but I don't know if
it can create vfat filesystems.

> now this drive, is going to be used for sharing, mp3, vid's, pdf's etc.
> a drop off storage area, would vfat be a better choice?

If you need MSWIN to have write access vfat would be an good choice, although
see <http://www.fs-driver.org/> for another option.  Linux filesystems generally
have better performance and support for long filenames than MSWIN ones.

Try
  man 5 fs
in a terminal for details of the available filesystems.

Toby