Ipod

Byron Poland wpoland at gmail.com
Thu May 18 15:31:49 UTC 2006

On 5/18/06, Matthew Nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com> wrote:
> I for a long time have used gtkpod to sync my ipod(s). IT works great
> and I have never had a problem. I do not use it for playing music, but
> simply for the task of syncing music to my ipod.
>
> Rhythmbox is getting support for syncing ipods (currently in dapper it
> can only play music from them). I've been playing with the cvs version
> of rhythmbox, and i must say it works great. simply drag and drop the
> tracks and watch them get written. Now I only used this app, for both
> syncing and playback.
>
> Bansheee works great as well, and ipod syncing should be completely
> working in it. I personally don't use it much, because I find that
> rhythmbox is faster, and the CVS version has all the same features
> (ipods, album art, etc)
>
> both of those players allow you to rips cds into their library, however
> it may take a bit of hackery to rips to mp3s, not the default, better,
> and free-er ogg format (which ipods, and most players, cannot play). For
> ripping cds, i use the command line program abcde, or "a better cd
> encoder" it works great, and can rip to any format. nice and quick as
> well.
>
> as for your purchased music, i simply do not know. I have never really
> bought any music from itunes, so i cannot say from personal experiance.
> however, i have been lead to believe, that you will be able to play
> those songs, or, at the very least, convert them to a more friendly,
> open format that apples drm'd format.
>
> I hope i was helpful. for a few years, syncing my ipod safely and easily
> was the only reason i had a dual boot going. i'm glad to say that is no
> longer the case, and i am yet to find an task i wish to accomplish, that
> i haven't been ab;e to get done in some way or another, on ubuntu.
>
> On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 09:52 -0400, Ylan Segal wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Currently I am contemplating migrating to Ubuntu (from WinXP) and I have
> >  found replacements for most of the applications I currently use. One of
> > my major concerns is my iPod: How will I sync to it?
> >
> > So here is my list of questions:
> > - What program do you use to sync your iPod? (By sync, I mean rip new
> > music to library and copy it to iPod).
> > - Does that program let you copy the music currently on your iPod to the
> > computer?
> > - What about songs purchased from iTunes? Can I play them?
> >
> > My current research has led me to believe that the best options are
> > either rhythmbox, amaroK or Banshee. Opinions welcome.
> >
> > I appreciate the help,
> >
> > --
> > Ylan
> >
> > "The universe is not required to be in
> > perfect harmony with human ambition"
> > ~ Carl Sagan
> >

> --
> Matthew Nicholson <sjoeboo at sjoeboo.com>
> sjoeboo.com

You will be out of luck with any itunes music store purchased music
for the most part.  there are tools in linux (pymusiqe and
sharpmusique) that let you purchase music for the itunes store, but
does not add the fairplay drm to the downloads.... however if you have
an itunes account that has ever been used with itunes 4.8 (or maybe
its 4.7) it won't work...

However If you've never used the later versions of itunes with your
purchased music you may be use some of the fairtunes or justetunes
tools to remove the drm, and the files will be playable under linux.

People will correct me If I'm off on any of the above...

I use banshee or gtkpod for syncing, and they work fine... no album
art support for putting artwork on ipods though.