abiword and non-EN dictionaries

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Wed May 17 22:15:35 UTC 2006

Does anyone know how to install additional, non-English spelling
dictionaries in abiword? The docs are confusing.

I downloaded several dictionaries from
http://www.abisource.com/download/abispell.phtml. the tarballs I
unpacked in the default location /usr/share/AbiSuite/dictionary/. No
go. I then noticed the newer version seems to use
/usr/share/AbiSuite-2.4/dictionary/. Still no go. Somewhere I found
instructions saying that the file "american.hash" was the default
spell dictionary, and for spellchecking in other languages the
respective .hash files should be placed in the same directory as it.
Well, locate doesn't return an "american.hash" on my system. But
spellchecking in English works fine....

I am using abiword v2.4.4 under Dapper.

--
  Colin Brace