using xfwm in gnome?

Michael V. De Palatis mdepalatis at mail.utexas.edu
Wed May 17 16:10:19 UTC 2006

Hi Matt,

I think there used to be a setting in gconf, though I believe it's
been deprecated. The way I get around this is by using an .xsession
file (which means when logging in with GDM, you need to select
"Default" as your session) and making it look something like this:

#!/bin/bash
export WINDOW_MANAGER=/usr/bin/openbox
/usr/bin/gnome-session

(Of course, you'd put whatever WM you want in the WINDOW_MANAGER
variable.) Also, be sure to remove any traces of Metacity from your
current Gnome session before restarting so that it doesn't start and
take over.

Hope that helps,

Mike