Flash plug-in : CPU salesman ?!

Scott listboi at angrykeyboarder.com
Tue May 16 11:56:11 UTC 2006

On 05/15/2006 06:15 PM, * Peter Garrett spake thusly:

> I don't think the problem is the plugin - I think the site's writers need
> a powerful application of the boot to their nether regions...

<rant>

I've about had it up to my eyeballs with Flash.  I've been playing on
the Internet for the past 11 years now and I swear in just the past two
two of those years, it seems as if the number of sites utilizing Flash
(or expanding their use of it) has gone up 1000%.

I'm beginning to wonder of Macromedia offers a 80% discount on Flash to
professional web developers.

It doesn't matter what OS or browser you're using, Flash-heavy sites
often slow your browser (and your CPU) to a crawl.

There are a number of sites I've been visiting for years that suddenly
decided to ruin a perfectly good thing and redesign using lots of flash.
 Javascript menus are now flash menus.  Embedded videos (which I
*really* dislike regardless of format) that were Real or WMV are now Flash.

It's beyond annoying.

I would say 1 in 10 sites sites using flash make good use of it at all.
 Most of it is overkill/unnecessary.

And the worst are those stupid splash pages.  What's funny is most
webmasters are nice enough to put the "skip intro" link there so you can
in fact, skip it.

But the question I have is, who the hell actually sits there and watches
the stupid splash thingy anyway?

I'd guess 3 out of 100 visitors.  So in my mind save everybody some time
and bag the flash splash.

The only thing those flash splashes are good for is bolstering the
designers ego.

</rant>

--
	Scott