ubuntu minimul - xfce4 problem

Joel Bryan T. Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Mon May 15 23:36:43 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-05-15 at 23:23 +0100, Ben Edwards (lists) wrote:
> I am trying to get Ubuntu working on a laptop with a PII 233 and 128MB
> RAM, 3GB HD.
>
> I have installed Ubuntu Server (for a minimal install) and added xfce4,
> metacity, xorg, gdm and x-server-core.
>
> gdm comes up OK but when I log in it brings up the gnome splash screen
> and hangs after desktop icon appears on the splash screen.
>
> There was no options in the gdm screen to select xfce4.
>
> An I missing something, how do I ensure xfce4 is the windows manager.
>
> Regards,
> Ben

sometimes, Ubuntu is not running
in laptop mode,

check if your running laptop mode by,

# cat /proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode

If it's 0, Ubuntu did not detect laptop mode. You can set it to 1 by,

# sudo /sbin/sysctl -w vm.laptop_mode=1

For memory tweaking constraints,
You can set RAW parameters in the running kernel,
using sysctl by,

# sudo /sbin/sysctl -w vm.min_free_kbytes=<reserve memory for system>

the current default is 2039, but if you like to use the swap more than
your memory, change it to higher values, I usually set it to 16384 for
256MB.

tweaking kernel settings is dangerous, make sure you save your work
before doing anything, it _will_ close the applications you are working
on.

and to make things permanent, edit /etc/sysctl.conf and add the words
after the -w.

--
Joel Bryan T. Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com>