Using Gparted to restore an outboard USB drive -- how long should this take?

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Mon May 15 20:24:37 UTC 2006

On Monday 15 May 2006 14:47, Peter N. Spotts wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm using a Maxtor 300gb outboard USB hard drive with Ubuntu 5.10
> installed on a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S303 laptop. Somehow, the
> Maxtor's partition table got bollixed up, and how I'm trying to
> repartition it (fortunately, little data stored there). Gparted saw it
> and assigned it sda1, but it shows the drive as having an unknown file
> system, even though it originally was linux native. So I've got it
> setting up the entire drive as a single ext3 partion. But it's taking
> forever to execute the repartitioning process (with no activity showing
> up on Gkrellm's monitor for sda1). Interestingly, fdisk also sees the
> drive as sda1, and with a linux partition, so I suppose something is
> happening. How long should it take to complete this partitioning process
> on a 2.4 GHz machine?
>
> With best regards,
>
> Pete
> --
> Peter N. Spotts | Science Correspondent
> The Christian Science Monitor
> One Norway Street, Boston, MA 02038  USA
> Office: 1-671-450-2449 | Office in home: 1-508-520-3139
> www.csmonitor.com | www.peterspotts.net
> pspotts at alum.mit.edu | Amateur-radio call: KC1JB

I'm only guessing, of course, but it seems there may be a prob w/the hardware.
I used to own a Toshiba Satellite 2100CDT & the HD on that was reported as
hda, not sda, for one thing.  For another, my 2.66ghz box partitioned a 60GB
drive in just a few seconds (via PQM from XP), b-4 I decided to make it a
single-boot box.

Perhaps a little more info might help...?

FWIW...
--
	...CH