Benefits of gcc4?

Erik Christiansen erik at dd.nec.com.au
Mon May 15 05:42:59 UTC 2006

On Fri, May 12, 2006 at 04:02:53PM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> I'm looking at starting to use gcc4 for general use, currently using
> 3.3.6, and was wondering if there are any specific benefits or
> gotchas. I'm looking for fairly deep info, eg the kernel config makes
> specific mention of inlines and how hopefully 4 will make this
> unnecessary.

Alan,

Regarding general use, we've been using gcc-4.0.2 for cross-compilation
to v850e target for 7 months now, without any problems that would be
relevant to the native compiler.

We only inline stuff when we want to, so I can't talk about the need for
it in the linux kernel.

> I reason that it's only a matter of time before most distros have
> switched and I want to get ahead of the pack with experience _before_
> it's commonplace.

Is it updating the kernel code that delays compiler upgrading?

Erik