Alternative to LaTeX?

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Sat May 13 10:44:00 UTC 2006

Sean Hammond schrieb am 12.05.2006 18:19:

> Are you sure that would be in an introductory book about LaTeX?

Yes, if it's a good one ;-). Unfortunately I don't know good english
literature for LaTeX except "The LaTeX Companion" (de facto standard
documentation) which has about 1200 pages. Recommendable!

Have a look at comp.text.tex.

> I have read The Not So Short Introduction To LaTeX, and I really know
> the basics of LaTeX quite well, but it doesn't cover anything useful
> about colours or styles and I haven't been able to find anything great
> online.

$ texdoc color

or

$ texdoc xcolor

> This koma class looks nice and it seems its provided in tetex on
> ubuntu by default,

Yes, it is, but I guess it's not up-to-date. v2.9u is the recent
one. Be careful with teTeX in Dapper. Hyphenation is broken:
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/tetex-bin/+bug/36145

> and indeed the command you provided works and my
> document looks quite nice now (thanks).

Fine :-).

> But there doesn't seem to be
> much in the way of english documentation for the koma class, and
> googling for that \addtokomafont command (I'd like to see what other
> parameters it can take) turned up nothing either.

$ texdoc scrguien

This works for (nearly) every package: texdoc <package>. It's not
true for graphic{s|x} (-> texdoc grfguide), hyperref (-> texdoc
manual) and maybe some other. All documentation is located in
texmf/doc/latex. This tree can be found in your $HOME,
/usr/local/share or /usr/share/.

$ texdoc TETEXDOC # teTeX documentation

> Is \addtofont a general LaTeX thing or something added by koma?

KOMA-Script

Best,
  Christoph
--