PC fans runs after dapper is halted.

Tommy Trussell tommy.trussell at gmail.com
Fri May 12 19:18:41 UTC 2006

On 5/12/06, OOzy Pal <oozypal at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/12/06, Jyrki Pulliainen <jyrki.pulliainen at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 5/12/06, OOzy Pal <oozypal at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Has anyone experienced this problem?
> > >
> > > When I trun off my computer, Dapper goes through the shutdown sequence
> > > and my LCD goes off but I can hear some fans are running? This problem
> > > happened since I installed Dapper.
> >
> > Are you sure, that your fans or for example power doesn't have a 'cooldown'
> > perioid after shutdown? Some powers tend to keep on after shutdown even
> > though computer is otherwise powered off.
>
> Yes I am sure because this feature is not in of my power supply.
> Moreover, this never happened before. I have this PC for almost a year
> and I had WinXP and Breezy before and this never been a problem i.e.
> the minute the WinXP or Breezy finished their shutdown sequence,
> everything is off and no fans or noise.

I had a similar issue with a system and filed a bug
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/39499  -- like me, you may
have a minor kernel bug affecting your hardware.  After I filed my bug
I noticed a page on the wiki
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelProblems so I went back and
added the information it called for.

You might try the workaround I noticed on mine -- add acpi=force to
the kernel parameters and see if it makes the power work right.  You
can do that temporarily and if it works, add it to grub's menu.lst
line for your kernel. (Which will get blown away with the next major
kernel update, so watch the updates carefully.)

If your system is very similar to mine, just subscribe to it, but
since you said "the LCD goes off" I'm wondering whether you have a
laptop. Mine is a desktop system.