Can one "rollback" package updates?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Thu May 11 15:03:34 UTC 2006

I should probably clarify:

Removing 1 package may not be difficult.   It's the broad set of packages
that one can install (eg, via the "Software Updates" gui tool) that's more
difficult.  It's hard, if not impossible, to know which packages

I don't want to have to do a system snapshot/backup at a low level (eg, dd
or file-system snapshot); I'm hoping to track this at an OS/application level.

Also:  what happens after new package upgrades an old one, and the new
package is removed?  Is the old package "put back" to its original state?

-Matt