Ubuntu Kiosk?

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Thu May 11 09:15:02 UTC 2006

email.listen at googlemail.com wrote:
> KDE kiosktool is what you are looking for.
>
> kiosktool
>  A Point&Click tool for system administrators to enable
>  KDE's KIOSK features or otherwise preconfigure KDE for
>  groups of users.

Are you sure that's what I'm looking for? Inspite of the name, it looks
like this tool is for locking-down the accounts, or making all the
accounts similar. Though this can be useful, it is not what I'm asking
about. I'm asking about an easy way to setup a thin-client computer room
that can be shared among 600 pupils. People have suggested that instead
of creating 600 accounts I just create 10, one for each PC. So far this
seems like the best solution.

I'll keep kiosktool in mind though. I expect they'll ask me to lock down
the accounts. Though I was thinking of giving them Gnome, not KDE.

> For a single classromm and not more than 20 pupils systems like skolelinux,
> RedHat K12 or edubuntu will cope your needs. I would recomend skolelinux or
> K12 because they offer a lot of 'automagically' predefined services as user
> accounts stored in ldap, centralised administration and others.

I was thinking of using Edubuntu because it seems easier to setup, and I
can reuse my Ubuntu skills.

> But for a more complex environment, ... nomachine/NX.

I'm not familiar with NX. I'll take a look. Thanks.

> For such environment I would suggest a better scaling systems e.g. OpenSchool
> Server (OSS) [1] from EXTIS (OSS is the former SUSE OSS).
> OSS offers a lot of predefined services, those offered by skolelinux, k12 plus
> groupware, elearning environment and others.

If it comes from SuSE it'll be even more distant from what I'm familiar
with... :-(

> I set up such a system with an nomachine service (wich is easy to set up) As
> thin-client systems I used thinstation [2].

Thanks. I'll take a look.

> This system is serving a big vocational school /Berufsschule, BBS-II), 24
> classrooms having 12 to 24 machines each. And it is serving more than 2500
> user accounts in the moment. Every student has a personalized home directory,
> is able to use email, irc, web,...

How do you manage 2500 user accounts? Do you have a script that creates
the accounts automatically? If there is an easy way to create 600 user
accounts for this school, I would consider that option. Does this system
integrate at all with Windows user accounts? I don't know much about the
Widndows side.

Cheers,
Daniel.
--