Nautilus tips and tricks

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Thu May 11 02:21:15 UTC 2006

I just happened upon a site that suggests some things about nautilus.
http://linuxboxadmin.com/articles/nautilus.php
One of them is something I've been searching for since I first opened up Ubuntu:

  The ~/.Trash directory is where files are moved if you delete local
files. On mounted volumes, Nautilus will create a hidden .Trash-uid
directory if you move a file to the trash, as long as you have the
file permissions.

I'd rather have Nautilus simply delete files on mounted volumes
instead of creating hidden trash folders. To add a true delete option,
go to Edit > Preferences, Behavior tab and select the "Include a
delete command that bypasses Trash" option. This adds a delete option
to the menus. If you delete a file with the delete option, Nautilus
won't create a hidden trash folder on a mounted volume.

Yay! no more hidden files taking up space on my MP3 player or
embarrassing ".Trash-username" files showing up on networked windows
shares :-)

--
www.modmeup.net
Ubuntu Dapper 6.06